When installing solar in the Florida Keys Electric Cooperative (FKEC) service area, which runs from Ocean Reef to the Seven Mile Bridge, please follow the following steps below to ensure final approval from FKEC for interconnection to our grid.
Failure to follow any of the procedures will delay interconnection and potentially cause FKEC to be unable to approve setting a bi-directional meter until you are in full compliance with the procedures outlined below.
- Download the Net Metering Application and Compliance form (PDF)
and complete Sections A – D at this time. Please note the following:
- For inverter-based systems, the AC gross power rating can be calculated by multiplying the total installed DC nameplate rating by .85 to account for the losses in converting from DC to AC.
- Systems SHOULD NOT be sized so large that the energy produced by the array exceeds 120% of the member’s maximum kWh consumption. For more information, please contact our Sr. System Engineer at (305) 852-2431 Ext: 201.
- Have the FKEC Member sign the appropriate Net Metering Tier Agreement
*For Tier II and Tier III Interconnection Agreements only:
- Obtain proof of the Owner’s general liability insurance for personal and property damage, of sufficient guarantee and proof of self-insurance, in the amount of not less than $1 million (Tier II) or $2 million (Tier III). Initial proof of insurance shall be in the form of a copy of the policy or certificate of insurance evidencing the Homeowner’s or other insurance policy in effect at the time of the interconnection. For government entities, the policy coverage shall not exceed the entity’s maximum liability established by law.
- Email ALL documents to Engineering@fkec.com or include a copy of the documents when submitting the plans to FKEC (see Step 2)
- Submit the plans for the solar installation to an FKEC area office for review
Please note: Plans WILL NOT be reviewed until FKEC receives all the documents requested in Step 1.
- Upper Keys: 91630 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier
- Middle Keys: 3421 Overseas Hwy, Marathon
An FKEC engineer will advise of any additional requirements, stamp the plans for approval, and return them to you in a timely manner.
- Take the stamped plans to the appropriate municipality or to Monroe County to be reviewed for permitting
- Install the system
- Owner Acknowledgment
The FKEC member must now sign Section E of the Net Metering Application and Compliance form.
- Contact the Electrical Inspector to schedule an inspection of the installation
Once approved, have him or her complete and sign Section F then submit the now completed form and the Inspection Report to Engineering@fkec.com.
- FKEC Inspection and Installation of the Bi-directional Meter
Upon receipt of the now complete Net Metering Application and Compliance form and Inspection Report, we will schedule an inspection to verify the system satisfies FKEC’s interconnection requirements. Once it has been approved we will proceed with the installation of the bi-directional meter.