June 25, 2018
Do Not Fall Victim to Utility Scammers
Prevent being scammed by always staying alert and informed. If you receive a call threatening to disconnect power if payment is not given immediately over the phone this is a scam! You can ONLY pay your FKEC utility bill over the phone by calling FKEC’s secure phone payment number 1-855-385-9912.
You can also check your co-op account balance or make payments securely online 24/7. To access your account or learn more about FKEC payment options visit https://fkec.com/AccessAct/.
If you receive a suspicious call, or any call, threatening to disconnect your power, hang up and dial 305-852-2431 immediately to ensure you are speaking to a bona fide FKEC employee. NEVER provide payment, personal, confidential, or financial information to anyone before verifying they are a bona fide FKEC employee by calling 305-852-2431.
- The scammer spoof our caller I.D. to appear to be calling from FKEC.
- Using a recording of our automated phone greeting so that it sounds like you have reached FKEC offices when you call the phone number provided by the scammer.
- The con artist tells the target a technician is on the way to upgrade his/her meter and payment will need to be provided immediately or the meter will fail and power will go out.
- Scammer threatens to disconnect power if the instructions to purchase a pre-paid cash card are not followed.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- FKEC does not accept any kind of prepaid card, including Green Dot and Reloadit cards, as payment for your bill. Don’t fall for anyone demanding a prepaid debit card.
- FKEC will never ask you for payment via a money wire.
- FKEC will always notify consumers of overdue electric bills prior to calling to disconnect service.
- Always call FKEC's secure phone payment system when paying your electric bill by phone! 1-855-385-9912.
HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF:
- Commercial consumers should make all managers and staff aware of potential utility scams.
- Never provide personal, confidential, or financial information to unknown individuals.
- Know your account status and balance. You can check it at www.FKEC.com.
- If you have any doubt if a call, email, or visit from someone claiming to represent FKEC is legitimate, please call Member Service at 305-852-2431. An operator is available 24/7.
- Report any suspicious activity to police.
- Please protect our community by sharing this information with your friends and neighbors.
FKEC is working with Co-op members and law enforcement to prevent these scams, but the best defense against these con artists is to be alert and informed.