Since the inception of the Green Living Awards in 2008, FKEC has been
honored with five Green Living Awards from the Green Living and Energy
The awards, which highlight progressive steps toward sustainability
taken by local citizens, businesses, organizations and policy makers,
are presented on two fronts:
- "Popular Vote" through public online voting on the
- GLEE's “Board Vote”, taking into consideration
many factors, including "living it, advocating for it, well
roundedness, and longevity of green practices."
The goal of the Green Living Awards is to promote existing Keys’ green
initiatives, educate about what's possible on a local level, identify
local green leaders and promote pride and spirit in our islands.
Florida Keys Electric Cooperative is a progressive, member-owned, not-for-profit
electric utility committed to serving its community efficiently and effectively
in an environmentally responsible manner.
FKEC has been selected based on the company’s many green achievements
- First fleet operator in the Keys to switch to biodiesel fuel
- First utility to welcome interconnected solar homes
- First to install grid-connected solar
arrays in the Keys
- Initiating "Simple Solar," an innovative program
that allows locals to lease FKEC's solar panels and in return
receive bill credits for the solar energy they produce.
- Earning national recognition as a "Tree Line USA Utility" from
the Arbor Day Foundation
- Designing Tavernier Operations Center using LEEDs guidelines
and featuring a 30,000-gallon cistern, solar-assist hot water
- Founding member of GLEE
- Original member and first to host the Keyswide Sustain-Ability
“Of course it is great to be recognized for “green” initiatives,” says
CEO Scott Newberry. “But our environmental programs are not in
place to earn awards. Whether we win an award or not makes no difference.
We do what we do simply because we believe it is the right thing.”
FKEC's board of directors and staff are dedicated to caring for the
Keys and are continually investigating new technologies and advancements
to make the delivery of power as safe, reliable and eco-friendly as possible.